zoom Tag

I was all set to snipe at the RFDS aircraft as it came over our house. I had clipped a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mmf:4-5.6 G ED VR lens onto my Ray-Qual adapter and mounted the combo on my Fujifilm X-T10 camera. The sky was clear, the sun was up, and I needed a shot for this weblog column.Just my luck - no-one in the bush was sick enough this morning to need a transfer to Jandakot. No RFDS plane. I even tried baiting it by putting out a pile of bandages and Dettol...

Or grey, or gritty. You can be good - and you can have a good price, too.Just saw a small stack of ex-demo Tamron lenses sitting on the back counter on Monday night. They're that good prices and are the now modern style Tamron - very sharp. Wide zoom, long zoom, macro...

Funny how a buzz-phrase arrives into your vocabulary. You never invent the thing, but one day you find yourself uttering it and you really can't be certain where it came from.Some blame social media, some blame America, and some blame slang...

Yep. I was right. You can find things to do on a damp Friday in Perth.In particular, if you have a Fujifilm X-T 10 camera and an 18-135 mm lens and an airplane-mad daughter who in turn has a football-mad boyfriend, it can all come together beautifully.Hauled out of the house at 1:30 in the afternoon to go to Perth Airport, I took the Fujifilm along to the viewing deck of the terminal building to await the arrival of a rare visitor to Perth - an Etihad Airlines Airbus that is painted in the colours of the Manchester City Football Club. The D and the D's BF both support that soccer club and watch their matches at all hours of the day and night. I suspect the club is owned by Etihad.It was a bright but moist day and they were using the short runway at the airport for the takeoffs and landings, presenting the port side of the aircraft as they headed west. The observation deck is readily accessible to visitors without going through any of the cavity searches...

Every single time some expert writes an internet article to tell me that I shouldn't do that, I can't do that, or I didn't do that, I go out and make the mistake of doing it. And in 73% of cases I should, can, and did succeed. The victories can be very small, of no interest to anyone but myself, and sweet as summer sunshine - based solely upon the fact that I defied the expert.The other 27% of the time I scrape the residue off the ceiling and air out the studio. Don't ask.Case in point is the fan-boy-forum advice that you can't take successful action pictures with a mirror-less camera - particularly if you use an adapted lens and try to work in poor light. Telling me this was like Nolan telling Cardigan where the guns were...

In the theatre and in the dark - that's where I see this new lens from Sigma. And believe me, here in Perth we have dark theatres. The operating theatres in the hospitals are all pretty well lit, but after that it all gets pretty dim...

If you are allergic to cynicism, switch off now. The next couple of paragraphs are going to make you itch. If you can stand it, read on.Any sales network makes money for itself by selling you things - which you know perfectly well. In many trades this can be a seasonal or annual effort - look at what the clothing fashion people do to you four times a year - and think what the automobile makers try to do with yearly model changes and annual sales. If you've lots of money and the psychological need for novelty then all is well - you suit the trades and they suit you.On the other hand, if you want to, or have to, be careful with your money you are not quite the market that the manufacturers seek...

Day 3.You've got the filter and the memory card and the tripod and the bag and the camera body. Now at last you can get the lens and take some darned pictures!March Madness moves amongst the lenses today. It's Wednesday the 23rd and all day they'll be selling selected lenses for all sorts of camera mounts at discounts ranging from 13% off to 45% off.You don't get that sort of thing haggling in the vegetable markets...